Shravan Mahina is one of the holiest and most auspicious months in whole year. This month is dedicated to Lords – Shivshankar and millions of Shiva devotees visit various SHIVLING and offer water, milk and belpatra (Bilva leaves). Mondays in Shravan month are considered highly auspicious to offer prayers to Lord Shiva.
In Maharashtra, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Gujarat, Shravan month begins on August 3 and ends on September Monday or Somvar. In north India it begins on July 20 and ends on August 18. Month of shravan is considered highly auspicious for praying to Lord Shiva. It is believed that the worship of Shiva during Shravan month is more powerful than worshiping during normal days.
Here is a brief procedure to observe Shravan Somvar Vrat
- After the morning bath and other purification rituals, first pray to Lord Ganesha.
- Next, pray to Lord Shiva by chanting “OM NAMHA SHIVAY II ॐ नमः शिवाय ll”
- Then perform offering of water, milk, curd, ghee, honey, sugarcane juice, Bilva leaves and white flowers.
- If you have Shivling at home, you can also perform abhishek with water, honey or milk.
- Fast on same day from sunrise to sunset.
- You can chant Maha Mritunjaya Mantra or Om Namah Shivaya on the day.
- Those who observe fast on Mondays can only wear white clothes.
- Those observe partial fast can only eat fruits.
- Some devotees read the Shiva Lila amrut or shiv puan on the day.
- People who live along the banks of Ganga, use water from Ganga to perform abhishek on the Shivling.
- The fast is broken in the evening after praying to Lord Shiva.
- Some devotees opt for a 24-hour fast and they break the fast on the next day morning.
- It is believed that those who observe Somwar vrat will have their desires fulfilled and will be blessed with wisdom.
- This fast should be kept for five years or 16 Monday with full faith.
Shravan month fasting story or vrat Katha –
Once Sanat Kumar asked lord Shiva why Shravan Monday is favorite day of yours. So lord Mahadev tells that when sati devi left her body in her father house with yoga power. Before this Sati devi did Sankalpa that to get Mahadev as husband in every birth. Then she took birth in himachal Parvathi, daughter of Himalaya and Menka. Parvati took very struggle fasting whole shravan month. That way she made happy to mahadev and married him. So from which reason it is regarded as main Month to lord mahadev. So from this reason people recognition that unmarried girl keep this fast for get good and long life to husband.
Shravan somwar story related to samudra manthan –
In the famous Samudra Manthan episode (Churning of Ocean) mentioned in the Puranas, 14 types of precious things came out as a result of the churning of the ocean. Asuras (Demons) and Devas (Demi Gods) shared thirteen of them. The last precious thing that appeared was the called ‘halahal’ (poison). It had the power to destroy the universe. All god and goddess started worshiping lord shiva. To save the universe, Lord Shiva consumed the ‘halahal’ and stored it in his throat. Because of that he also known as Nilkanth.
When Lord Shiva started consuming the poison, all the Gods and holy saints appeared on the sky and started offering the holy Ganga water to Lord Shiva to make lessen the effect of the poison halahal.
This auspicious event took place in the Shravan month. From that day onward people started bathing the Shivling with Ganga or water and it became a tradition.
Spiritual activity during Shravan maas
- Visiting shiv mandir or temple
- Rudra abhishek
- Mantra chanting
- Fasting for lord Shiva
Shravan somvar shivpujan muth 2016 –
In this people offer some grains to shivling
- On firstMonday– tandool or rice
- SecondMonday– til or sesame
- ThirdMonday– moong or kidney beans
- ForthMonday– javas or flat seeds
ॐ ~ψ~ || ॐ शिव ॐ शिव || ~ψ~ ॐ