Sabudana khichdi is made from soak shabu. It is also known as shabu khichdi. Sabudana khichdi and its tempering is most commonly used food for fasting in Maharashtra. Here i am explaining khichdi. I will cover other related recipes in coming days. This is my favorite recipe. Many times even i used to fast just to enjoy khichdi and many kids do that.
This recipe does not require more efforts and worth trying and enjoy eating. We can prepare different recipes with it like shabu thalipith, shabu kheer, shabu vade, shabu papad, chakli. This is quick and easy maharashtrian breakfast recipe prepared at home during fast.
Step-by-step instructions with pictures immediately follow recipe.
- • 2 cup sabudana or sago
- • 1 cup roasted peanut powder
- • ½ cup Sliced Potato
- • 1 tbsp ghee
- • ½ tbsp cumin seeds
- • ¼ tbsp of sugar
- • Finely chopped cilantro, shredded coconut and lemon
- • Salt to taste
- • Oil
- Soak sabudana in 1 cup of water for overnight.
- Take ½ tbsp of cumin seeds, 4 green chilly in mortar pestle and make rough paste.
- Heat up 1 tbsp ghee and ½ tbsp oil in kadhai or pan.
- Temper with Cumin seeds and chili paste.
- Add Potato slices and stir.
- Cover with lid and let the potato cook on low heat.
- Once potato slices are done, add almonds, cashews
- Then add sabudana in that.
- Add peanuts powder mix it well,
- Now add salt to taste, then add pinch of sugar and lemon juice mix nicely.
- Cook for couple of minutes more, stir continuously.
- Garnish with coconut and cilantro.
- Serve with yogurt, milk, pickle.
If you forget to soak shabudana add lukemin water, drain all water and keep aside for 3 hours
STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS WITH PICTURES
Ingredients for shabu khichadi are sabudana, peanut powder, sliced potato, green chilies, cumin seeds, ghee, oil, almond, cashew, cilantro, salt, pinch of sugar, lemon.
Wash 2 cup shabu. Drain water and soak it in 1cup of water. Soak it for overnight.
Take ½ tbsp of cumin seeds, 4 green chilly in mortar pestle and make rough paste. You can grind in mixer grinder.
Heat up 1 tbsp ghee and ½ tbsp oil in kadhai or pan.
Temper with cumin seeds and chili paste.
Add potato slices and stir. Cover kadhai and let the potato cook on low heat. When potato slices cooked, add almonds, cashews and stir again…..
Then add soak sabudana after cooking potatoes.
Add peanuts powder. (For peanut powder- roast peanuts and grind in mixer grinder) mix it well…….
Now add salt to taste mix all thing together. Then add pinch of sugar and lemon juice mix nicely.
Cook for couple of minutes more and stir continuously to make sure that it will not stick in bottom. Sabudana khichadi is ready. Garnish with coconut,cilantro and serve with yogurt, milk, pickle.