Mutton rassa or Tambda rass is authentic Maharashtrain food recipe. This mouth watering recipe little bit difficult but it very tasty to eat. In kohlapur side it is known as tambada rassa. This is one curry type which make with Mutton stock, some aromatic fresh spices, onion, ginger garlic paste and coconut. This recipe is very rich in flavor.
Step-by-step instructions with pictures immediately follow recipe
- • ½ kg Mutton
- • ½ tbsp Turmeric powder
- • 2 tbsp Red Chili Powder
- • 1 tbsp Garam Masala
- • 1& ½ cup chopped Onion
- • 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
- • 3 tbsp dry Coconut
- • 1 tbsp Cumin seeds
- • Oil
- • Salt to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in pan or kadai, add cumin seeds then add 1 cup chopped onion cook until soften bit.
- Add 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste, ½ tbsp of turmeric powder, mutton and salt to taste.
- Mix it well until all water goes dry it takes 3 mins and then add water for cooking Mutton, transfer in cooker and cook until 5-6 whistle.
- Take 1/4 tbsp of oil in pan add 1 & 1/2 cup onion soften bit remove it.
- Then add 3 tbsp of coconut in same pan roast it until golden color appears.
- Mix all together and make fine puree.
- Take kadai or pan add 2-4 tbsp of oil then add onion and coconut puree sauté for 2-3 minutes
- Add ginger garlic paste sauté for another 2 mins and add 1/2 tbsp of garam masala and 2 tbsp of red chili powder and salt sauté nicely for 8-9 mins.
- Now add stock and mutton in masala stir it very well and let it cook for another 5 mins on slow heat.
- Your mutton rassa or Tabda Rassa is ready
you can replace mutton and use chicken but cook it only for 1 to 2 whistle in pressure cooker, chicken didn't want more time for cook.
STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS WITH PICTURES-
Ingredients need for mutton rassa or tambda rass are mutton, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, garam masala,chopped onion, cumin seeds, ginger garlic paste, dry coconut, oil & salt to taste.
First heat 1 tbsp oil in pan or kadhai. Add 1/2 tbsp Cumin seeds. Then add 1 cup chopped onion, cook until soften bit or turn in to pinkish brown color……
In onion add 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste stir it for 5 mins if you not stir it or saute it give bad taste, after saute add 1/2 tbsp of turmeric powder saute again and salt to taste……
Mix it until dry all water from Mutton. It help to decrease Mutton smell. Then add 2 cup of water for cooking Mutton. Transfer mutton in cooker and cook until 5-6 whistle. Mutton take more time than chicken for cooking.
Your mutton and stock is ready.
Cooking mutton rassa or Tambda rassa –
Now we start to make Mutton rassa or Tambada rassa. For that take 1/4 tbsp of oil in pan, add 1 and 1/2 cup onion soften bit remove it.
Then add 3 tbsp of coconut if fresh coconut is available use it. It increase taste. In same pan roast coconut until golden color appears…..
Mix onion and coconut together and make fine puree in grinder……
Take kadai or pan, add 2 -4 tbsp of oil remember that this recipe need more oil. Add onion and coconut puree saute for 2-3 mins…
After saute puree add ginger garlic paste saute for another 2 minutes. Add 1/2 tbsp of garam masala, 2 tbsp of red chilly powder(kanda lasun chatni) and salt saute nicely for 8-9 minutes. Make sure it does not stick or burn it give bad taste.
Now add stock and mutton in masala. Stir it very well and let it cook for another 5 minutes on slow heat. If you want more water add warm water in stock and increase its level.
Our mutton rassa or Tambda rassa is ready. Serve it with bhakri and rice.