Sukha mutton is mouth watering authentic maharashtrian non vegetarian recipe. Sukha mutton with mutton rassa are very famous in faire season which starts around February and end in first week of June.
In a village, on second day of faire, there is a tradition to call your friends and make them happy with this special recipe.
Step-by-step instructions with pictures immediately follow recipe
- • ½ kg mutton
- • ½ tbsp turmeric powder
- • 2 tbsp red chilly powder
- • 1 tbsp garam masala
- • 1 and ½ cup sliced onion
- • 1 cup chopped onion
- • 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- • 4 tbsp dry coconut
- • Vegetable oil
- • Salt to taste
- Heat 1tbsp oil in pan or kadai and then add 1cup chopped onion.
- Cook until it soften bit.
- Add 1tbsp ginger garlic paste, ½ tbsp of turmeric powder,mutton and salt to taste.
- Mix it well until all water dry from mixture.
- Then add water and transfer it in cooker.
- Cook it until 5-6 whistles.
- You can also cook it traditionally by adding half cup of water in mutton and half on lead which we use to cover pot.
- Once you see water on lid boiling, mix it in mutton. Do this step twice or trice until mutton cooks.
- It takes 20 minutes.
- Now separate stock from mutton.
- Take ¼ tbsp of oil in pan and add 1 ½ cup onion.
- Saute until it softens bit and then remove it.
- Add 3 tbsp of coconut in same pan and roast it until mixture becomes golden or brownish in color.
- Mix all together and make fine puree.
- Take kadai or pan and add 2 tbsp of oil.
- Then add onion and coconut puree and saute for 2-3 minute.
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of garam masala and 2 tbsp of red chilly powder and salt. Sauté well.
- Cover it. Stir in between to avoid mixture sticking to pot. After 5-6 min, it releases oil. At this stage, our masala is ready.
- Now add cooked mutton in it and stir well. Garnish it with coriander.
- Sukha mutton is ready.
You can add roasted sesame seed when you grind onion and coconut to more thickness and flavor. Taste salt first don't add too much because we add salt before for cooking mutton.
STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS WITH PICTURES-
Ingredients for recipe are mutton, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, garam masala, sliced onion, chopped onion, ginger garlic paste, dry coconut, oil & salt to taste.
Cooking sukha mutton-
Heat up 1 tbsp oil in pan or kadai and then add 1 cup chopped onion. Cook mixture until it softens bit.
Now add 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste, 1/2 tbsp of turmeric powder, 1/2 kg mutton and salt to taste.
Mix it well until dry all water. Mutton has its own smell and some people don’t like it which is why we should saute until mutton becomes complete dry. Then add water for cooking and transfer in cooker. Cook mixture until 5-6 whistle.
You can cook it traditionally by adding half cup of water in mutton and half on lid which is used to cover pot. Once you see water on top of lid boiling, mix it in mutton. Do it twice or trice until mutton cooks it take 20 minutes.
Separate stock from mutton.
Cooking Sukha mutton
Take 1/4 tbsp of oil in pan and add 1 & 1/2 cup of onion. Saute until mixture softens bit and then remove it.
Then add 3 tbsp of coconut in same pan and roast it until mixture becomes golden or brownish in color.
Mix it well together till it becomes fine puree.
Take kadai or pan and add 2tbsp of oil in it. Add onion and coconut puree and sauté for 2-3 mins.
Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for another 2 mins. Add 1/2 tbsp of garam masala and 2 tbsp of red chilly powder and salt. Sauté well.
Cover it and stir in between to avoid mixture sticking to pot. After 5-6 minutes, it releases oil. At this stage, masala is ready.
Then add cooked mutton in it and stir well. Garnish it with coriander.
Sukha mutton is ready.
Serve with bhakri, chapati, phulka, naan or rice.