Prawns curry or kolambi kalvan is authentic Maharashtrian recipe. Which is made with prawns and some spices. This is part of regular food in kokan/coastal area. One can cook Kolambi in different types but this one is my favorite and also a must try once kind of recipe…
This recipe is very famous recipe in coastal area. It is little bit expensive in hotels so i prepare it at home. I learnt this recipe from my sister and i love this recipe. Prawns did not take more time for cooking but yes they consume good amount of time for cleaning so lets make this recipe.
Step-by-step instructions with pictures immediately follow recipe
- • ½ kg prawns
- • 1 cup Onion
- • 1 and ½ cup Tomatoes
- • 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
- • 1 tbsp Coriander
- • 1 tbsp Cumin powder
- • ½ tbsp Garam masala
- • 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- • 1 tbsp cumin seed
- • Coriander and lemon(for garnishing)
- • 1-2 slices of kokum (it's optional)
- • 1 tbsp red chili powder
- • salt to test
- • Oil
- Wash prawns and remove black lines from it. Wash them again.
- Marinate prawns with turmeric powder and salt for 10 min.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in kadai or pan and add ½ tbsp cumin seeds.
- Add onion sauté until it becomes pinkish brown. Then add tomato Sauté until it starts to melt.
- Add 1tbsp ginger garlic paste and again stir for 5 min.
- Add 1tbsp coriander and cumin powder, 1/2 tbsp garam masala, 1 tbsp chili powder and mix well.
- Add 1tbsp of coconut powder and sauté for 5 min on slow down heat. Add 1/2 cup of water and cover it.
- After 4-6 min, it starts to releases oil. Next add marinated prawns.
- If you want more gravy then add water 1 cup of water and 1 to 2 slices of kokum
- Cover kadai. Slow down heat and let it cook for 10 min.
- Prawns curry is ready. Garnish with coriander and lemon.
- Serve with rice, bhakri or chapati.
If you need onion to melt fast then add baking soda during sauté.
STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS WITH PICTURES-
We need ingredients for prawns curry are prawns, onion, tomatoes, ginger garlic paste, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala, turmeric powder, cumin seed, Coriander and lemon(for garnishing), kokum, oil, red chilly powder and salt to test as ingredients for making prawns curry.
First we start from washing prawns. Some time we buy whole prawns. I usually buy prawns without mouth and outer layer. If you buy with outer layer and mouth then remove their outer layer tell and mouth with help of sizer.
Wash prawns and remove black lines from prawn. These black line give bad taste to prawns so make sure to remove these black line while making curry. I shown below how to remove black line with help of knife from prawn in pictures below and wash them again.
Marinate prawns with turmeric powder, salt and keep it aside for 10 min. It helps to decrease odor from prawns and also increase flavor. Some people do not like prawns or any sea foods smell….
Now we start to cook prawns curry, heat 2 tbsp oil in kadai or in pan and add 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds.
After that add onion and sauté until it becomes pinkish brown or melt. Then also add tomato and sauté until it’s start to melt……
Now also add 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste and stir for 5 mins……
Add dry spices, first of all add 1 tbsp coriander and 1 tbsp cumin powder. Next add 1/2 tbsp garam masala and finally 1 tbsp chilly powder and mix well…….
Add 1 tbsp of coconut powder and stir it for 5 mins. Then slow down heat and add 1/2 cup of water . Mix all together cover kadai with lead…..
After 4-6 min it releases oil .Then finally add marinated prawns……..
If you want more gravy you can also add 1 cup of water. Then add 1 to 2 slices of kokum. Kokum helps to increase taste of curry hence i use it. Its ok sometime kokum is not available……
Stir all things and cover kadai with lead for 10 mins on slow heat. Even on slow heat prawns do not take more time for cooking because seafood does not take long time for cooking. As a result tasty Prawns curry is ready. Finally garnish with coriander and lemon.
Serve with rice, bhakri or chapati.